Saturday, July 11, 2015

it's never too early

To plan for next years Italian renaissance costuming challenge.

The IRCC ends in a couple of weeks and I'm so glad I didn't do it this year. Between our financial issues and the move there is no way I could have pulled it off. By the time the IRCC comes around again I'll be in a different state and in a new kingdom. Maybe, just maybe I'll be be with folks who understand the challenge and it will be more then just a blip on their radar.

The one thing I have learned from completing the challenge twice before is you have to have a plan. This also helps as I can start spreading out the costs for supplies although I am going to be on a very tight budget. I've already decided to use faux silks as the cost for the yardage  I will need will be expensive.

The inspiration:
From 'Mores Italiae' 1557 Venice

I've never done this style before so it will be an interesting challenge. I don't know what out it's about this image, maybe it's the color combination but it so speaks to me.

Fabrics-
My samples finally arrived after 2 months of waiting.

For a faux silk these have a nice weight and body to them. I used this fabric when I did the costumes for Kismet and while it's not ideal overall it's a good facsimile, and at just under $5 a yard it makes it affordable.
The underdress is a very interesting color an orange/red/copper/gold. I couldn't find anything that would look like that color and I want pleased with the reds available so I'm leaning towards a copper. I like how the colors look together.

Layers-
Chemise- square neck with blackwork embroidery
Drawers- embroidered
Stockings- Eleanor Toledo knit 
Shoes- embroidered 

Partlet- ruffle
Corset- hand stitched embellishment
Petticoat- truptano and rope
Pockets- heraldic embroidered

Underdress- spiral cut sleeves, cutwork skirt

Over dress- black lined in blue,  gold bobbin lace trim, gold buttons

Of course if I get motivation to start it singer then the IRCC I'll just go for it

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! Look forward to your posts about how the skirt is done.

    ReplyDelete